Helen L. Morris Scholarship Fund Administered by the YWCA of Rochester and Monroe County
The Helen L. Morris Scholarship Fund was established to help low-income, single mothers who are Head of Household to return to college in order to improve the lives of their families, as well as motivate their children to excel. The goal is to provide the financial support to minimize the burden of additional out-of-pocket expenses resulting from having to work, support a family and attend college all at the same time. The Helen L. Morris Scholarship Fund wants to enable these non-traditional students to focus on achieving their academic goals and performance, so that they can create a successful future.
Applicants must meet all of the scholarship’s eligibility criteria to be considered.
• Single, female parents who are Head of Household
• Currently enrolled in a community college to obtain an associate’s degree, certificate or in a four-year college transfer program
- Students who already have an associate’s degree and are planning to transfer to a four-year college are also eligible
- Current residents of Monroe County. Preference given to applicants residing in the city of Rochester.
• Minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
• Demonstrated financial need
• The successful applicant will have demonstrated academic promise, goal orientation, and a commitment to completing degree program
Scholarship Amount: Up to $10,000 annually.
Scholarship to be used for the “Self-Help” portion of Financial Aid.
Number of Awards: Up to Maximum two awards per year.